Table of Contents
Online Casino Indonesia: Online Gambling Laws
With a permanent population of around 261 million, Indonesia is the world’s fourth most populous country. It’s also the world’s most populous Muslim-majority country, with some 85% of the country’s residents practising Muslims.
According to most interpretations of Islam, gambling is forbidden.
- In some more conservative Islamic countries, all forms of gambling are banned outright
- In other more moderate countries, gambling is tolerated and regulated
In Indonesia, pretty much all forms of gambling, be they online or offline, are prohibited. There was actually a national lottery run by the state, though this was quite short-lived. Many citizens protested against the lottery, which resulted in it being officially discontinued by the government. Despite gambling being frowned upon, it is still practised.
There’s no official government organisation that regulates online casinos in Indonesia. You may well come across the occasional online casino that is in fact based in Indonesia; since these aren’t supported or regulated by the government in any way, you should avoid them. If you’re playing at an online casino based in Indonesia and something goes wrong, you won’t be able to get help from any kind of government authority.
Technically speaking, any online casino based in Indonesia is illegal. International online casinos – that is, casinos based in other countries – don’t seem to be classed as illegal. This is why many people in the country are able to gamble online from the comfort of their own home without being punished in any way – they simply play at international casinos.
It is legal to play at international casinos in Indonesia – that is, casinos based in other countries.
Online Casinos Available to Indonesian Players
If you’re in Indonesia and want to play casino games online, your best option is to sign up to an international casino that accepts Indonesian players. No matter where you are, you should always only sign up to online casinos that are licensed by a government authority. Some of the main authorities include:
- The UK Gambling Commission
- The Malta Gaming Authority
- The Gibraltar Regulatory Authority
Before signing up to any casino, always double-check it’s got a licence from a regulatory authority:
- You should be able to find a license near the bottom of each page;
- there’ll be a link for every authority that’s provided the casino with a licence.
- If you can’t find evidence of a licence anywhere at the casino, you shouldn’t sign up and should definitely not deposit any money.
Unlicensed casinos may not be trustworthy. As a general rule of thumb, only sign up to licensed casinos.
You’ll be pleased to know that the Casino Gorilla wants you to be safe when gambling online. As such, all of the casinos he recommends are fully licensed. He would never want you to risk getting into trouble of any kind, so that’s why he doesn’t recommend casinos without a license.
Stick with Indonesian online casinos recommended by the Casino Gorilla and you’ll be in very safe hands.
Due to the Indonesian government being against gambling, there aren’t too many online casinos available to people in the country.
- The number of choices isn’t as great compared with countries that are more tolerant of online gambling.
- Having said that, there are still a number of big-name international casinos that have decided to accept Indonesian players.
- Any of these casinos that the Casino Gorilla recommends are licensed, so you can rest assured they can be trusted.
Even though Indonesians can’t access too many casinos, there’s still a good enough range of online casinos available. When looking for an online casino for Indonesians to play at, a good way to find the right one for you is to look at lots of different ones and compare what they have to offer. Size the casinos up and sign up to the one that ticks all the boxes and suits your needs. Whatever your preferences may be, you’re sure to find an Indonesian online casino suitable for you, even if the selection of casinos is somewhat more limited.
Here is an excellent online casinos that is available for Indonesian players:
|Online Casino||First Deposit Bonus||Further Information||Read review and play|
| King Billy Casino||151% / €200 + 200 Free Spins||King Billy Casino looks fantastic! The live dealer section is huge and there is also a superb selection of slots to choose from.|
When comparing casinos, there are several main criteria that you may want to consider. These include the following:
Line-up of Games
It’s a good idea to see what providers supply casinos with their games.
Many casinos have games by a mix of bigger providers and lesser known ones; others focus entirely on the mainstream providers and some focus on less popular providers, giving players a chance to try out less common games.
Promotions and Bonuses
Welcome bonuses for new players give you a head start with bonus money or free spins – or even both. Some casinos may even offer a no deposit bonus, which you can claim as soon as you’ve set up your account and before you’ve made a deposit.
Any good casino will have plenty of regular promotional offers you can claim:
- Loyalty schemes are good because they encourage you to keep playing.
- The more you play the better your bonuses will be.
- Then there’s the VIP club.
- If a casino has one of these, you’ll get to enjoy a range of exclusive perks, bonuses and promotions, though only if you qualify for an invite.
Accepted Payment Methods
You shouldn’t have any problems doing your banking at international casinos that accept Indonesian players. Debit and credit cards are accepted at pretty much every online casino, while e-wallets are also widely accepted. You should also find that prepaid cards are listed at lots of casinos.
Currencies and Languages
Indonesia is a very multilingual country. Its main language is Indonesian, which is spoken by the majority of its residents. As well as this, there are around 700 local languages and dialects spoken throughout the country. Many residents are fluent in Indonesian and several other languages.
- You should find that online casinos available to people in the country can be accessed in Indonesian.
- Some may not offer Indonesian; if a casino doesn’t, it should at least be available in English.
- If a casino doesn’t accept the Indonesian rupiah, you should be able to have your currency converted into one that the casino uses.
Practically every major casino operator has made its online casino available on mobile devices. You can access mobile casinos simply by visiting the casino through the web browser on your handheld device. Some operators have also developed apps. These are recommended as they tend to be of a higher quality; the only downside is that they take up space on your device.
Here are two mobile online casinos that are available for players in Indonesia:
|Online Casino||First Deposit Bonus||Further Information||Read review and play|
| BetTarget Casino||200 Free Spins||Bettarget is optimized for mobile and is thus easily accessible on a mobile devices such as Android and Apple .|
| Slotty Slots Casino||50 Free Spins / 10% Cashback||Slotty Slots Casino has a stunning selection of games on offer and they are also available in mobile version.|
Hopefully, nothing should ever go wrong at any of the casinos that Casino Gorilla points out. All good casinos have customer support readily available so you can get help should you ever need it. There should be:
- an email address or an email form you can fill out
- a phone line you can call
- a live chat feature
Not every casino will have all these forms of contact available. Some casinos will have customer support available 24/7, which is great. Others have it open for most of the day, with it typically closing during the early hours of the morning.
Again, the choice for Indonesian players is rather limited, so you may have to compromise when deciding on a casino to sign up to. Hopefully more operators will start accepting players from Indonesia in the future. Even though the country is mostly against gambling, there’s still quite a large market. There’s certainly room for more international operators to start offering online gambling services in the country.
Gambling in Indonesian Online Casinos
Even though gambling isn’t technically permitted in Indonesia, this hasn’t stopped people from taking part in offline gambling. There are a number of gambling venues, such as land-based casinos, that operate, though these are illegal. Since they’re not regulated in any way, there’s no way of telling whether they’re safe and can be trusted. People found to be placing real-money bets at gambling venues can face rather heavy punishments. The Indonesian Criminal Code has penalties of up to 10 years in prison as punishments for those found to be gambling.
With online gambling, however, there’s generally no threat of punishment or things going wrong, so long as you’re playing at an international casino that’s licensed.
However, there’s every chance that online gambling will be officially made illegal in the coming years. It’s been reported that the government is looking to crack down on online gambling activity taking place within the country and outlaw it for good.
While gambling is largely seen as unacceptable in Indonesia, this hasn’t always been the case.
- Before the 14th century, gambling was practiced quite a lot, with card games especially proving to be quite popular.
- The 14th century saw Islam gradually become the country’s main religion.
- As such, the general attitude towards gambling become a lot more negative.
- Even so, there was never really any formal law that prohibited different forms of gambling.
Fast forward to the late 19th century and the country’s government started to introduce strict gambling laws.
- It was in the 1970s that sharia law was formally adopted and started to spread throughout the country.
- This rather strict interpretation of Islam forbids gambling of any kind, whether it’s offline or online.
- Punishments for those found gambling include public caning.
The government did actually attempt to ban online casinos based in other countries from offering gambling services to people in the country.
- Even though this was an intention the government was keen to see through, not many casinos were actually banned.
- To this day, there hasn’t really been another push to ban offshore casinos, though as mentioned above, the government may be looking to come down on online gambling in the near future.
All in all, it’s very likely indeed that gambling, whether it’s online or offline, will never be fully legalized in the country, given its Muslim-majority population and sharia laws.
For the time being though, there are some pretty good online casinos available to Indonesians. The Casino Gorilla knows what he’s doing when it comes to countries with strict gambling laws. So as long as online gambling at offshore sites isn’t made illegal, you’ll be able to gamble online in online casino Indonesia. The Casino Gorilla will help you find the best online casinos to gamble at. He will only ever recommend licensed casinos that are reliable and can be trusted. All he wants is for everyone everywhere to be able to play casino games online.