Thunderstruck 2 Review
How many times do we get to say that that a sequel has surpassed the original? Movies like The Godfather Part 2 perhaps, maybe The Empire Strikes Back?
Well in slot gaming terms it is hard to find a more successful sequel than Microgaming’s classic Thunderstruck 2. The original Thunderstruck game was a smash hit in its own right when it was released in 2004, but as the years went by and online slots were becoming more sophisticated it was clearly time for an overhaul. The result was Thunderstruck 2, released in 2010 and featuring sharper graphics than its predecessor, this Norse-themed slot soon went on to eclipse the first version of the game.
Now regarded as one of Microgaming’s signature slot games, this one will be familiar to all fans of online casino play. Certainly, it is one that our expert reviewer – the Casino Gorilla – has played on countless occasions.
- Superb Bonus Game
- Amazing Jackpot Of 2.3 Million Coins
- Graphics Slightly Dated
- Difficult To Unlock The Bonus
- Game Manufacturer: Microgaming
- Payout Percentage: 96.6 %
- Jackpot: 720000
- Slots: 5
- Volatility: Medium
- Publish Date: 2017
- Bet: 0.3 - 75
- Paylines: 243
- Row Count: 3
- Mobile Version: Yes
Thunderstruck 2 takes on the gods of Ancient Norse myth, with a particular emphasis on Thor, God of Thunder. Some of the images may not be as sharp as those on modern video slot games, but the bonus features available from this game more than compensate for that.
- The lower value symbols are the traditional 9 to A playing card icons, made to look as though they have been carved out of stone.
- The higher value base game symbols are considerably more interesting. The higher value base game symbols are Viking long-ship, Valhalla, the Valkyrie, Loki, Odin and Thor himself is the most valuable symbol.
The game is lifted by the random bonus game and excellent Great Hall of Spins feature – more on these below.
How to Play
This game takes place on a grid of 5 reels arranged in three rows. This is a 243-ways-to-win game, which basically means that any three or more symbols on consecutive reels from leftmost to right will give you a win.
Bets start at 30c per spin and rise up to the max bet amount of €15. Not the extravagant bet amounts offered by some slots, but more than large enough for most players. Choose your bet by using the coin value button as well as the level of between 1 and 5. Select the ‘Expert’ mode – it’s easy to miss at is in very small writing beneath the reels – and then you will have the option to use the Autoplay button. This allows you to make up to 500 spins automatically, although you can set the game to stop if your win exceeds a set amount.
- When Wildstorm feature strikes, up to 5 reels can randomly turn wild.
- Thunderstruck II symbol replaces all other base game symbols.
- Thor’s Hammer is the most important symbol, which acts as the scatter symbol. If you find 3 or more then you will gain entry to the mythical Great Hall of Spins.
At any time during the base game the Wildstorm feature can strike. When this happens, up to 5 reels can randomly turn wild. You must also make sure to keep an eye out for the Thunderstruck II symbol. This is the wild symbol and replaces all other base game symbols. Even better, every time a winning line features the wild symbol your win is doubled. The most important symbol is Thor’s Hammer, which acts as the scatter symbol. These pay out if even one appears anywhere on the reels, but if you find 3 or more then you will gain entry to the mythical Great Hall of Spins, where great riches await.
The Great Hall of Spins in Thunderstruck II
There are four different bonus rounds available within the Hall of Spins, featuring the Valkyrie, Loki, Odin and Thor.
- The first time you trigger a bonus round you will only have the option to play the Valkyrie game, which gives you 10 free spins and where all wins are multiplied by five. As you enter the Hall more times, you fill up a meter which will allow you to choose the different bonus games. The further you go, the more lucrative the games you can play.
- The Loki bonus will become available the 5th time you trigger the bonus game. Here you get 15 free spins and a Wild Magic feature that can randomly change other symbols into wilds. Like the Valkyrie bonus round, this can be re-triggered upon the appearance of further scatter symbols – but only 2 are required to set off this game again, not the minimum of 3 needed for the Valkyrie game.
- Keep triggering those bonus rounds and the potential rewards increase. From the 10th trigger the Odin round becomes available, with 20 free spins and the Wild Raven feature. This latter feature gives multipliers of x2 and x3.
- The final bonus round is the Thor bonus where you can earn 25 free spins plus rolling reels. This means that on each spin you can earn consecutive wins, with increasing multipliers. These multipliers go from x2 all the way to x5, opening the door to large wins.
The Casino Gorilla has been around the block a few times, and of course he has seen many slot games with far superior graphics and sound effects. However, there is a reason why he – and millions of others – still love playing this game of the gods.
Opening the doors to The Great Hall of Spins raises this game up to the heavens, and keeps Gorilla coming back for more!
For sure the fact that there is an enormous jackpot of 2.43 Million coins to play for helps to keep this one close to the top of the gaming charts. However, while that jackpot may be pie in the sky for most, the bonus games are a different matter.
Check out this evergreen classic and you will see why it has remained quite so popular for so many years.